Letter of Permission - Taking a Course at Another University

New Service: Your Letter of Permission can be processed in person at Registrarial Services.

If you wish to enrol at another university (host) and have those undergraduate credits transferred toward your York degree/certificate, you must first apply and be granted a Letter of Permission (LOP) by the Office of the University Registrar.

Fee: non-refundable Letter of Permission processing fee of $50 per institution/term.

Glendon students: please consult with your home Academic Student Services Office.

If you are considering online courses, please visit eCampusOntario to find online and mostly online courses.

  • To be eligible for an LOP you must be pursuing a York degree and/or certificate program. If you are a non-degree student at York, you may apply directly to the host institution without an LOP.
  • You must be in good academic standing. An LOP will not be issued if you are on academic warning, program warning, debarment warning or academic probation. If your academic status changes after the LOP is issued and you are no longer in good standing or are ineligible to proceed in your program, the LOP will be rescinded and you will no longer be eligible for transfer credit from the host institution regardless of the grade achieved there.
  • Your LOP will not be processed if there are outstanding debts on your University account.
Conditions and Responsibilities

It is your responsibility to ensure that:

  • You meet the course prerequisites for the course(s) you wish to enrol in at the host institution.
  • Course(s) completed on an LOP meet your program requirements.
  • You do not repeat courses already passed.
  • You provide detailed course outlines to the corresponding departments at York that include such information as:
    • course description
    • textbook information (author, title, edition, year of publication)
    • method of evaluation (e.g. two exams, 50% each)
    • breakdown of lectures per class with book chapters included
    • see Course Outline Example
  • Should enrolment/registration circumstances change; that is, the course(s) you are requesting on an LOP is(are) not available, you must re-apply for any replacement course(s).
  • An official transcript is forwarded to the Office of the University Registrar at York University as soon as final grades are available from the host institution.

Important Notes

  • Course Credit Exclusions (CCEs) are courses offered at York and the host that are similar enough in content that both may not be taken for degree credit. A course substitute can replace a specified York course/degree requirement. A course substitute can be a CCE but a CCE is not always a course substitute.
  • Repeated courses: Credit towards your degree will only be counted once for repeated courses taken at York or elsewhere. Should you repeat a course, the initial grade will be replaced with a notation of “NCR – No Credit Retained”.
  • Minimum grade requirement: Generic results of “Pass” or “Credit Achieved” at the host will not be accepted for transfer credit to your York degree. A minimum grade of C (60%) is required for credit.
  • Transfer credit will be assessed based on the course work/requirements including in-class hours completed at the host institution and not on the course work/requirements of the York course credit exclusion or substitute. Please see York's General Academic Information for more information on in-class hours and check the ONTransfer database for potential course equivalencies.
  • Year level: Courses completed at Canadian universities are normally assessed for credit at the year level offered by the host institution. For example, if you successfully complete a 2000-level course at the host university, credits granted by York will be recognized at the 2000-level, regardless of whether York offers a similar course at a different year level.
  • Courses and grades achieved at the host institution are not listed on your York transcript or included in your York grade point average (GPA).

Maximum Credits Allowed (LOP and York University enrolment)

Letter of Permission Credit Maximums: Fall/Winter 2019-2020

Program Faculty Maximum Credits Allowed
Faculty of Education 33
Faculty of Environmental Studies 36
Faculty of Health 36
Faculty of Liberal Arts and Professional Studies 36
Faculty of Science 33
Glendon College 33
Lassonde School of Engineering 33
School of the Arts, Media, Performance and Design 36
Instructions (How to Apply)

Deadline to Apply for Letter of Permission

We are now accepting applications to go on a Letter of Permission for the Fall/Winter 2019-2020 term.
Deadline for Fall and Year term courses: July 31, 2019.
Deadline for Winter term courses: November 29, 2019.
Please allow up to 6 weeks for the processing of your Letter of Permission application.

  1. Obtain a detailed course outline from the host institution for each course you wish to take.
  2. Print and fill out the application form:
  1. With the application form and course outlines, seek approval from the Department responsible for offering the course at York. (Example: if seeking a course equivalent for a Math course, visit the Department of Mathematics and Statistics.)
  2. Submit the completed LOP form on this website, or hand it in to Registrarial Services to have your LOP processed on the spot.
  1. Upon receipt of your LOP approval from the Office of the University Registrar, please ensure a copy of this approval is sent to the host institution. If you are deemed ineligible to go on an LOP, you will be informed by e-mail.
  2. When you have completed the course(s) at the host institution and grades are available, an official transcript must be forwarded to York's Office of the University Registrar immediately (see deadlines below). Address the transcript to:
  3. Office of the University Registrar - Degree Audit
    York University, Bennett Centre for Student Services
    4700 Keele St. Toronto, ON M3J 1P3

  1. If you do not register or complete any of the courses for which you were issued the LOP, you must provide the Office of the University Registrar with documentation from the host institution declaring you either did not enrol/register or that you withdrew from the course(s) without any academic penalty.
  2. Please note the alternate instructions for BFA Dance majors in the Joint Teacher Training Program with Canada's Nation Ballet School.

Additional Instructions

  • Commerce majors: ADMS courses will not be approved on a Letter of Permission.
  • Communication Studies majors: If you wish to take a course on a Letter of Permission to satisfy a major requirement(s), you must seek approval from the department to ensure the course(s) will fulfill the requirement(s). Please send the Letter of Permission application form identifying both the course(s) and the host institution to: comnupa@yorku.ca
  • Economics major: ECON courses will not be approved on a Letter of Permission.
  • Engineering majors: Courses relating to the Complementary Studies Requirement are eligible for Letter of Permission credit. Eligible Complementary Studies courses for each major are listed under the Faculty-Wide Degree requirements in the Undergraduate Academic Calendar. Some non-major courses, core courses and other requirements i.e. Math courses, may be eligible for LOP. BEng students must visit the Lassonde Welcome & Support Centre to discuss and obtain Faculty Approval.
  • French Studies major: Any student looking to take a French language course on a Letter of Permission must first speak with the Department of French studies before submitting their request. Please contact: lapsfren@yorku.ca.
  • Psychology: PSYC courses at the 4000 level will not be approved
  • Public Administration majors: An advising appointment is required before submission of your application. Please contact: lapssppa@yorku.ca.
Term in which you completed your course Deadline for transcript submission or proof of withdrawal/non-attendance
Summer October 1
Fall February 1
Winter June 1