These are general guidelines only. Meeting minimum requirements does not guarantee admission. York University reserves the right to request language proficiency test scores.
Acceptable Language Tests & Scores
York English Language Test
Test of English as a Foreign Language
York's TOEFL code is 0894
International English Language Testing Service
Liberal Arts & Professional Studies (most programs), Environmental Studies, Fine Arts, Glendon, Health, Science (except Engineering).
|Overall band: 1-5||Computer: 220
|Overall band: 1-4||Computer: 230
|Overall band: 2||Computer: 243
Schulich School of Business
|Overall band: 1||Computer: 250
Liberal Arts & Professional Studies:
Bachelor of Administrative Studies and Bachelor of Human Resources Management.
|Overall band: 1-3||Computer: 237
For Education, contact the Faculty directly at 416-736-5001 or visit the Web site
If you are applying to an undergraduate program at York, you may meet our English language requirements if you have successfully completed - or are in the process of successfully completing - one of the following:
- four full years of study in Canada in English or French at the secondary-school level;
- four full years of study at the secondary-school level in English in a country where English is a primary language or where English is the primary language of instruction;
- one full year of study in an accredited university degree program in English in a country where English is a primary language;
- two full years of study in English in an accredited college diploma/applied degree program in a country where English is a primary language or where English is the primary language of instruction.
Students who have completed, or are in the process of completing, the International Baccalaureate diploma may meet our English language requirements. Students must show achievement of the IB diploma once it's been granted.
Exemptions available for students who have completed York University's English Language Institute (YUELI) Intensive Program Level 6:
- Most undergraduate programs: with "Distinction", "Honours" or "Pass"
- Engineering and Schulich School of Business: with "Distinction"
For more information, contact YUELI at 416-736-5353.
Note: Time spent in ESL courses will not be counted towards meeting these requirements. Language requirements will not be waived based on letters written by applicants or as a result of completing senior-level high-school English course(s).
The above requirements are general guidelines only. York University reserves the right to require a successfully completed language proficiency test.