- You must have graduated from a recognized postsecondary institution holding an honours degree or equivalent. Some programs consider applicants with a three-year undergraduate degree and relevant work experience.
Undergraduate degrees not designated as honours degrees may be acceptable as the equivalent of an undergraduate honours degree if they contain a minimum of 120 credits (typically, a four-year program with full time enrolment) including the completion of a minimum of 6 credits at the fourth-year level at an accredited postsecondary institution.
Three-year first cycle undergraduate degrees from institutions that meet the criteria set forth in the Bologna Declaration may be acceptable as the equivalent of an undergraduate honours degree.
If you completed your undergraduate or master’s studies outside Canada, you may need to complete additional courses to qualify for admission to a graduate program at York. Please contact the relevant program office for more information.
If you have completed a four year undergraduate degree at an Ontario College of Applied Arts and Technology, you will need to contact Office of Admissions to have the requirement added to your record. This will allow your transcript to be uploaded to continue the admission process.
- A minimum grade point average (GPA) of at least a “B” or equivalent, is required. Most programs require at least a “B+” or equivalent. Your GPA is assessed over the last two years of undergraduate study (full time, or equivalent); or, if you have a master’s degree, we will use your highest level of education to calculate your GPA. Please be sure to check International Credential Equivalencies.
Your GPA is a critical consideration is determining admissibility. Also, be sure to check the specific requirements of your program of choice. In rare cases, a program any choose to give priority to a candidates professional or creative accomplishments, or other relevant experiences, recommendations, portfolio, or test results.
- Most PhD programs at York require applicants to have a master’s degree in order to be eligible to pursue a PhD. A select few programs offer a direct-entry PhD option, more information can be found on our Explore Programs page. Most programs require at least a “B+/A-” or equivalent. Your GPA is assessed using all available master’s level grades. Please be sure to check International Credential Equivalencies.
English Language Proficiency
You may be required to provide proof of English Language Proficiency if you do not meet one of the following criteria:
- Your first language is English; OR
- You completed at least one year of full-time study at an accredited university in a country (or institution) where English is the official language of instruction.*
Please be sure to see the minimum score required for each program on our Explore Programs page.
York University reserves the right to request a sufficient English language proficiency test result. We do not accept letters from other institutions stating that the medium of instruction was English.
*An institution must be listed as ENGLISH-ONLY on whed.net to qualify. Schools that list languages in addition to English do not qualify an applicant for an English Language Proficiency Test exemption.