Language Proficiency Requirements
Programs at Keele Campus are offered in English, while programs at our Glendon Campus are offered in a bilingual environment (English and French). To gain admission, you must demonstrate language proficiency in your program's language of instruction. These are general guidelines only. Meeting minimum requirements does not guarantee admission. York University reserves the right to require a successfully completed language proficiency test.
(Which tests do you accept)
Accepted language tests – minimum score required
York English Language Test
(1 is the highest, 5 is the minimum score)
Test of English as a Foreign Language
York's TOEFL code is 0894
International English Language Testing Service
|School of the Arts, Media, Performance & Design
Health (except Nursing)
Lassonde School of Engineering (except Bachelor of Engineering programs)
Liberal Arts & Professional Studies
|Overall band: 1-5||iBT: 83||6.5|
|Education: Consecutive Education||See the Faculty of Education website for English language requirements.|
|Glendon (see Glendon website for French language tests)||Overall band: 1-5||iBT: 83||6.5|
|Health: Nursing||Overall band: 4||iBT: 89||7|
|Lassonde School of Engineering: Bachelor of Engineering programs||Overall band: 2||iBT: 96-99||7.5|
|Schulich School of Business||Overall band: 1||iBT: 100||7.5|
*The IELTS Academic test is required for admission to York University. IELTS General will not be accepted for language proficiency requirements.
Any test scores submitted to York University for the purpose of satisfying your language requirements must have been achieved within the last two (2) years.
Special conditional admission for high-achieving applicants
For those required to meet language proficiency requirements, York may offer conditional admission, pending proof of language proficiency, to academically highly qualified students. Eligible candidates must present a minimum 80% average on Grade 12 U/M credits or standing equivalent to an "A" average in senior-level academic course prerequisites.
Conditionally admitted students must fulfill language proficiency requirements prior to the start of classes for the session to which they've been admitted as follows:
- by presenting acceptable TOEFL, IELTS or YELT scores; OR
- successfully completing level nine at York University's English Language Institute (YUELI) will also satisfy the English language requirement.
Conditionally admitted Francophone applicants may satisfy language requirements by taking the French Language Placement Test offered by Glendon.
All applicants conditionally admitted will be notified by hard copy letter as well as by e-mail. Applicants may also check the status of their application via MyFile.
Bridging to English studies at York
Students needing to improve their command of the English language may consider enrolling at the York University English Language Institute (YUELI). YUELI provides the highest quality English language instruction, serving over 2,000 students from more than 50 different countries every year. YUELI's programs include university academic preparation programs for undergraduate and graduate students, summer language institutes and customized programs. Visit YUELI for a full listing of offerings and services.
For exemptions to providing an official language test score, visit our page on Language Proficiency Tests.
We may accept other language proficiency tests such as Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB), Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL) and Cambridge English Language Assessment (CAE, CPE).
(Do I need to take a language test)
Exemptions to providing an official language test score
Language requirements may be met if you have successfully completed, or are in the process of successfully completing, one of the following:
- Four full years of study in Canada, in English or French, at the high-school level
- Four full years of study at the high-school level in English in a country where English is a primary language or where English is the primary language of instruction
- One full year of study in an accredited university degree program in English in a country where English is a primary language or where English is the primary language of instruction
- Two full years of study in English in an accredited college diploma or applied degree program in English in a country where English is a primary language or where English is the primary language of instruction
Students who have completed, or are in the process of completing, the International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma in English or French may meet our language requirements. Students must show achievement of the IB diploma once it's been granted.
Note: Time spent in ESL courses will not be counted towards meeting these requirements. Language requirements will not be waived based on letters written by applicants, SAT/ACT scores or as a result of completing senior-level high-school English course(s).
Conditional admission opportunity
If you have yet to complete a language proficiency test, you may be offered conditional admission upon completion of English language training through the York University English Language Institute (YUELI). Completion of Level 9 in YUELI's Academic Program is accepted as satisfying York University's language requirements for admission:
- Most undergraduate programs require Level 9 with "Distinction", "Honours" or "Pass"
- Engineering and Schulich School of Business programs require Level 9 with "Distinction"
* Every effort has been made to offer the most current, correct and clearly expressed information possible. Nevertheless, inadvertent errors in information may occur. Therefore, the information contained at this site is intended only to provide a general indication of our policies. The actual outcomes will vary according to each individual's situation.