Programs at Keele Campus are offered in English, while programs at our Glendon Campus are offered in a bilingual environment (English and French). To gain admission, you must demonstrate language proficiency in your program's language of instruction. These are general guidelines only. Meeting minimum requirements does not guarantee admission. York University reserves the right to require a successfully completed language proficiency test.
(Language Tests & Scores)
Accepted language tests – minimum score required
Test of English as a Foreign Language
York's TOEFL code is 0894
International English Language Testing Service
|School of the Arts, Media, Performance & Design
Health (exceptions below)
Lassonde School of Engineering (exceptions below)
Liberal Arts & Professional Studies
|Overall band: 1-5||iBT: 83||6.5|
|Education: Consecutive Education||See the Faculty of Education website for English language requirements.|
|Glendon (see Glendon website for French language tests)||Overall band: 1-5||iBT: 83||6.5|
|Health: Nursing||Overall band: 1-4||iBT: 89||7|
|Lassonde School of Engineering: Engineering||Overall band: 1-2||iBT: 96-99||7.5|
|Schulich School of Business||Overall band: 1||iBT: 100||7.5|
We may accept other language proficiency tests such as Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB), Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL) and Cambridge English Language Assessment (CAE, CPE).
Exemptions to providing an official language test score
Language requirements may be met if you have successfully completed, or are in the process of successfully completing, one of the following:
- Four full years of study in Canada, in English or French, at the high-school level
- Four full years of study at the high-school level in English in a country where English is a primary language or where English is the primary language of instruction
- One full year of study in an accredited university degree program in English in a country where English is a primary language or where English is the primary language of instruction
- Two full years of study in English in an accredited college diploma or applied degree program in English in a country where English is a primary language or where English is the primary language of instruction
Students who have completed, or are in the process of completing, the International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma in English or French may meet our language requirements. Students must show achievement of the IB diploma once it's been granted.
Note: Time spent in ESL courses will not be counted towards meeting these requirements. Language requirements will not be waived based on letters written by applicants, SAT/ACT scores or as a result of completing senior-level high-school English course(s).
Conditional admission opportunity
If you have yet to complete a language proficiency test, you may be offered conditional admission upon completion of English language training through the York University English Language Institute (YUELI). Completion of Level 6 in YUELI's Academic Program is accepted as satisfying York University's language requirements for admission:
- Most undergraduate programs require Level 6 with "Distinction", "Honours" or "Pass"
- Engineering and Schulich School of Business programs require Level 6 with "Distinction"
(Improve your English)
York's English Language Institute helps more than 2,000 students from 50+ countries improve their English each year. If you are a high-achieving international student that needs to meet language requirements for entry to a degree program, consider a YUELI program like YUBridge.
* Every effort has been made to offer the most current, correct and clearly expressed information possible. Nevertheless, inadvertent errors in information may occur. Therefore, the information contained at this site is intended only to provide a general indication of our policies. The actual outcomes will vary according to each individual's situation.