Certificates allow you to complete a specific group of university courses (for credit) as either part of your degree studies or separately. Additional details on certificates are available here.
The Certificate in the Discipline of Teaching English as an International Language (D-TEIL) has been designed to help you enter into the international field of English language teaching, and to increase your opportunities of working overseas in a growing professional field. In this program, you will be introduced to:
- general principles of linguistics applicable to language teaching;
- the latest notions of language learning; concepts of language in society and bilingualism;
- the history and impact of English as a global language, including both observation and a micro-teaching practicum.
This certificate is intended for those interested in teaching English abroad to adults. It is not intended for those wishing to teach ESL in Canada.
Who can take it?
- current York students, or
- new applicants to York who already hold a university degree.
How to apply
- If you are a current York student, contact Glendon's Office of Student Programs, C105 York Hall, at 416-487-6715.
- If you are a new applicant to York and already have a university degree, you must meet the minimum requirements for admission to the University and apply through the Office of Admissions. You would then also make a separate inquiry to the Glendon's Office of Student Programs, as noted in item 1 above.