Immerse yourself in contemporary design practice and design thinking through the York/Sheridan Joint Program in Design (YSDN) - the first and largest Bachelor of Design (BDes) program in Ontario offered jointly with Sheridan College.
Work on real-world projects in state-of-the-art facilities. We offer you an exceptional professional education in visual communication, interactive and information design, integrated with studies in design history, theory and management. Students learn to address contemporary issues through effective design solutions by using relevant methodologies and visual principles of form, imagery, and typography.
Our curriculum provides a comprehensive education within the ever-expanding discipline of graphic design. Our program strives to provide students with the skills in making and thinking necessary to succeed in contemporary practice.
Practicum placements and strong industry connections are hallmarks of our internationally recognized program. Between third and fourth year, our internship program enables students to gain experience in a professional design firm. Students cap their final year by organizing and exhibiting their work in a graduation show in downtown Toronto.
York's state-of-the-art Technology Enhanced Learning (TEL) Centre and Sheridan's new Sheldon Levy Centre boast nearly two hundred Macintosh work stations in 10 dedicated design studios utilizing the most current client-server systems and application software. Other equipment includes:
- Scanners and digital image readers
- Video editors and broadcasters
- Interactive display systems
- Letterpresses and historic lead and wood type
- Professional quality black and white and colour laser printers
- A large format (44" wide) Epson Stylus Pro 9880 colour inkjet printer
- Digital still and motion cameras
- CD and DVD burners
How to apply
The application process involves two steps:
2. You must successfully complete the portfolio evaluation and interview.
For complete application information and portfolio requirements, visit the York/Sheridan Design website.
- Explore the many exciting career options in the Design career guide.
- York/Sheridan Joint Program in Design students are the most talented and brightest students from Canada and around the world. Our students have been very successful in annual national and international competitions held by industry and professional organizations. The Design Students Association (DSA) actively supports students and provides an important social network.
- Students completing the BDes program can also concurrently complete the requirements for the Professional Certificate in Digital Design.
- Web and motion graphics
- Art director
- Corporate branding specialist
You are required to provide official evidence of academic achievement in secondary education. This can be demonstrated through:
- Final grades under the Ontario curriculum (obtained through correspondence, night school or through TVO)
- Credentials through other curricula, such as results from Advanced Placement (AP) or Advanced-level courses in the General Certificate of Education (Gene). (Students may register to sit for the AP and GCE examinations as private candidates.)
In the absence of final grades in courses:
- You must submit the results of standardized tests such as the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) with a minimum of 550 (Reading) and 550 (Math) or a composite American College Testing (ACT) score of 24.
- Your application will be reviewed by an admissions sub-committee. If admitted, you will not be eligible for entrance scholarships. You will be considered for continuing student scholarships at the end of your first year of study, if you satisfy those criteria.
We are adding to our database of admission requirements by country. Please check back in October for additional admission requirements by country. General requirements are currently available by country — note that program-specific requirements may apply in addition to general requirements.