Cultural and Artistic Practice for Environmental and Social Justice

About Certificate Request More Information Certificate Website (Faculty of Environmental & Urban Change)
Faculty of Environmental & Urban Change
Concurrent, Consecutive, Direct
Full-Time, Part-Time

Certificates allow you to complete a specific group of university courses (for credit) as either part of your degree studies or separately. Additional details on certificates are available here.

This certificate will teach you to use art as a tool for expressing diverse identities, for developing community awareness about environmental issues and to take action for social change. You will take courses offered through the Faculties of Environmental Studies and the School of the Arts, Performance, Media & Design to develop artistic skills while working collaboratively on a community-based cultural production in your final year of study. Benefits of the program include work placements with local cultural agencies and community organizations. International internships with agencies and organizations in Los Angeles (USA), Mexico, Nicaragua and Panama are available.

York graduates with the Cultural and Artistic Practice for Environmental and Social Justice certificate will be prepared to work in community organizations, art agencies, environmental groups, artist run spaces or for international community development agencies.

Who can take it?

This certificate is open to the following applicants:
  1. current York students, or
  2. new applicants to York who already hold a university degree (with appropriate prerequisite core courses), or
  3. new applicants to York who have equivalent professional experience in community arts.

How to apply

  1. If you are a current York student, contact your Academic Adviser to find out about admission requirements and the application process.

  2. If you are a new applicant to York, you must ensure first that you meet the minimum requirements for admission to the University and meet any additional requirements. You may then apply through the Office of Admission.  You may receive more information about additional Faculty requirements by contacting: