Rehabilitation Services

Rehabilitation Services

Faculty of Health

The Rehabilitation Services Certificate Program is offered jointly by York University and Seneca College of Applied Arts and Technology to York Psychology students in their second or third year. Students in the Kinesiology & Health Science program may also apply provided the required psychology courses for the joint program can be met. Joint programs allow you to combine your university education with specialized, college-based training. They allow you to get both credentials in a shorter period of time than if you completed the programs separately.

The goal of rehabilitation is to help a person recovering from illness or injury to regain optimal functionality and to become as independent as possible despite his or her disabilities. Rehabilitation also aims to teach strategies for ongoing disabilities and addresses the medical, physical, psychological, social, spiritual, vocational and economical aspects of patients and their families.

Graduates of the joint program receive a Bachelor of Arts (BA) or Bachelor of Science (BSc) degree in Psychology from York University and a joint York/Seneca Certificate in Rehabilitation Services from Seneca College.

How is Rehabilitation Services different from Athletic Therapy and Physiotherapy?

You'll require a degree in Psychology (Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science) plus certification as a Rehabilitation Services provider to practice in Ontario. Rehabilitation Services has a wider scope than Athletic Therapy and Physiotherapy and includes both physiological and psychological aspects. You'll cover topics such as personality, health psychology, the rehabilitative process, types of disability, case management and interviewing. You will also complete 800 hours of field placement over two years.

Athletic Therapy is primarily related to the prevention and care of musculoskeletal disorders (muscles, bones and joints) in athletes. An athletic therapist is a certified member of the Canadian Athletic Therapists Association (CATA) and holds a Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited university.

To practice as a Physiotherapist, you need a Bachelor of Science degree in Physical Therapy and to be registered with the College of Physiotherapists of Ontario. You'll work to prevent or alleviate movement dysfunction and to enhance physical capacity through a combination of exercise, therapeutic methods (massage, hydrotherapy etc.), education and coaching strategies.

Who can take it?

This program is open to current York students in the Psychology degree program.

How to apply

Application is made to this certificate between January 30 and March 1 in your second or third year of study in the Psychology degree program.

If you are a current York student in the Psychology degree program, contact the Department of Psychology to find out about admissibility requirements and the application process.

Program Details

Offered by

Faculty of Health

Ways to study

Full-Time, Part-Time

Certificate Entry


Study Sessions