Technical & Professional Communication

Technical & Professional Communication


Certificates allow you to complete a specific group of university courses (for credit) as either part of your degree studies or separately. Additional details on certificates are available here.

Technical and professional writers put scientific and technical information into easily understandable language. They prepare scientific and technical reports, operating and maintenance manuals, catalogues, assembly instructions, sales promotion materials and project proposals. They also plan and edit technical reports and oversee preparation of illustrations, photographs, diagrams, and charts. They impart research findings for scientific or medical professions, organize information for advertising or public relations needs, and interpret data and other information for a general readership.

Glendon's Certificate in Technical & Professional Communication teaches people to transform information into words that others can understand. You will develop a clear understanding of what helps and what interferes with communication.

The certificate program is offered on a part-time basis and all courses are offered in the evening, so you can work while completing the certificate. The certificate takes two years of part-time studies to complete.

Who can take it?

This certificate is open to the following applicants:
  1. current York students, or
  2. new applicants to York who already hold a university degree in a related discipline, or
  3. new applicants to York who have recent work experience in an administrative or a technical field which requires writing.

How to apply

  1. If you are a current York student, contact the Technical & Professional Communication program in the School of Translation to find out about admissibility requirements and the application process.
  2. If you are a new applicant to York and already have a university degree in a related discipline or recent work experience in an administrative or a technical field which requires writing, you must ensure first that you meet the minimum requirements for admission to the University by applying through the Office of Admissions. You would then also make a separate enquiry to the Technical & Professional Communication program, as noted in item 1 above.

Program Details

Offered by


Ways to study


Certificate Entry

Concurrent, Consecutive, Direct

Study Sessions