Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages

Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages

Liberal Arts & Professional Studies

This program is certified (accredited) by TESL Ontario

As the world becomes increasingly internationalized, the need for facility in English is growing. One result of this growth is an increase in the demand for qualified ESL/EFL (English as a Second Language/ English as a Foreign Language) teachers. The demand is apparent both overseas and here in Canada. Job postings now frequently specify that applicants must have a TESL or TESOL Certificate from a certified (accredited) institution.

In response to this demand for accredited English language teachers, the Department of Languages, Literatures, and Linguistics at York University, Keele Campus, offers a Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL).


Contact tesol@yorku.ca for academic and administrative questions.

Program Details

Offered by

Liberal Arts & Professional Studies

Ways to study

Full-Time, Part-Time

Certificate Type


Certificate Entry

Concurrent, Consecutive

Study Sessions

Fall, Winter, Summer


Apply for scholarships and awards by February 15 and submit your application in PDF format. View the Financial Aid tab on this page for awards specific to your student status.

Learn More

Speak with our Students

Our Student Ambassadors are ready to answer your questions, show you around campus and share their experiences at York.

Book a Tour with a Student

International Opportunities

There are many types of global learning available to you. York International is here to help you gain valuable international experience and enrich your education.

Learn More

We love hearing from you

Contact us

Ways to connect with Student Support & Advising

  • In-person
  • Virtually
  • Phone
  • Email

Visit the Contact SSA page for more details on hours of operation.

Email: study@yorku.ca


Mail Us

York University
Student Recruitment & Admissions
Bennett Centre for Student Services
99 Ian Macdonald Blvd
Toronto, ON M3J 1P3

Book a Tour

Make arrangements for a tour of our Keele or Glendon campus.

Request More Information ');