- If an applicant believes that their academic record may not meet the standard normally required for admission to the program(s) to which they have applied to at York, they may wish to contact email@example.com for an admission consideration for extenuating circumstances.
- Student Recruitment & Admissions provides an opportunity for applicants to tell us about any extenuating circumstances that may have affected their academic performance.
- No medical or psycho-educational assessment documentation should be submitted at this time. Applicants will be reviewed for admission consideration on the basis of their academic record and the information they provide in the admission consideration process
- Upon being admitted and registering as a student at York University, applicants who wish to receive support from Student Accessibility Services during their studies will be required to provide formal documentation concerning their accommodation needs. For details about required documentation for accepted/registered students please see the Student Accessibility Services website.
- Submitting additional information regarding extenuating circumstances in the admission process does not guarantee admission to the University or to your desired program.
- The admission consideration process for extenuating circumstances follows normal admission and documentation timelines, but please note that earlier submissions are strongly encouraged.
If you become a York student, you should contact York University's Student Accessibility Services as soon as possible after accepting your offer of admission to arrange for academic accommodations with an accessibility counsellor. We often start meeting with students in May and throughout the summer for September classes and start seeing students in November for January classes.
Connecting with an accessibility counsellor at the earliest possible moment helps ensure the arrangement of your academic accommodations in a timely fashion. For example, securing items like adjustable desks in classrooms might take several weeks if they are not already in stock. Coordinating with an accessibility counsellor to make the necessary arrangements will further ensure that a student’s wheelchair is compatible with the adjustable desk.
York's Student Accessibility Services will determine which academic accommodations are deemed appropriate for any individual student based on a review of three elements:
- the approved medical/psychological documentation provided by the student;
- discussion with the student;
- the academic integrity of the program of study/consultation with course directors.
Please note that admission to York University does not guarantee provision of the academic accommodations in place prior to coming to York, nor that the requests for academic accommodation expressed by the student in their application will be granted.
- Once received, an applicant's information will be held in confidence by Admissions staff and used only to facilitate admission decision-making. The information provided on the Additional Information Form will be kept and used for the current admissions cycle only.