Disaster & Emergency Management
Liberal Arts & Professional Studies
About Disaster & Emergency Management
Learn what it takes to effectively manage crises
Earthquakes, wildfires and epidemics are just some of the reasons qualified, trained emergency management professionals are needed around the world. York is the only university in Canada to offer both undergraduate and graduate degrees in Disaster & Emergency Management, and is a place where you’ll learn to better understand and mitigate potential disasters.
In this highly specialized program, students examine topics such as business continuity planning, emergency and disaster risk management, crisis communications, ethics and terrorism.
Our respected, internationally recognized faculty are all active in research and bring that timely knowledge into the classroom. You’ll also benefit from networking opportunities and connections to experts through conferences, events and a field-placement course. Some courses are taught by practitioners working in the field, such as local emergency managers.
Our graduates are involved in emergency management, public safety and consultancy within governments, multinational companies and NGOs.
What you’ll learn
- Learn to analyze complex information and make sound decisions in challenging and difficult circumstances.
- Understand strategies to help save lives and property, reduce damage and speed a community’s recovery from disasters and emergencies.
- Apply the key concepts, methodologies and technologies used by emergency management professionals to real-life challenges.
- Placements at NGOs, in government and the private sector help students understand the complexities and realities facing emergency management professionals.
- Train for disasters virtually using Second Life and the Advanced Disaster, Emergency and Rapid Response Simulation (ADERSIM).
- Our student association offers external training, exercise, and networking opportunities throughout the year, and will become part of your campus community.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org