East Asian Studies
Liberal Arts & Professional Studies
About East Asian Studies
Explore language, culture and history
Take your appreciation of East Asian culture to the next level with our programs. We offer a rich and flexible program focusing on culture, cultural nuance, and history and literature.
You’ll benefit from our diverse faculty who are well-connected with East Asian culture and the regional Chinese diaspora. Many are multilingual, so they can help you to understand the cultural context in your studies.
Our students are given the important cultural and historical contexts needed to work and thrive in the growing economies of East Asia. You can choose courses cross many Faculties, including politics, philosophy, music and art, to create a unique combination that best serves your academic interests and career aspirations. Many graduates use East Asian Studies as a stepping stone to international or public policy work.
What you’ll learn
- Gain an understanding of Chinese, Japanese and Korean societies past and present.
- Appreciate the importance of East Asian languages, literature and fine arts, and these nations’ political, economic and social impact.
- Learn the concepts, skills and knowledge of at least two academic disciplines.
- Participate in research and gain valuable experience at the York Centre for Asian Research.
- Attend or volunteer for the annual Toronto Reel Asian International Film Festival.
- Visit the Royal Ontario Museum’s galleries of East Asian Art & Culture.
Contact us at email@example.com