Liberal Arts & Professional Studies
Learn how to think, not what to think. Build a solid background in philosophy while developing the skills and mindset that are sought by many professions–the ability to debate and present an argument, think analytically and creatively solve problems.
Covering views that include western, east Asian, African and Islamic thought, our courses deliver a deep understanding of the field of philosophy. You’ll tackle life’s big questions and explore how the concepts of freedom, happiness and justice have evolved and been treated by great thinkers over time.
Philosophy gives an exciting direction to your education and your future. You’ll be prepared to join our alumni in areas such as advocacy work, human rights, bioethics, education, social services, research and publishing, or to apply to law school, an MBA or other grad studies.
What you’ll learn
- Think creatively, ask the right questions and make sound decisions.
- Clearly explain complex ideas to others and apply theoretical concepts to everyday and professional situations.
- Lead and interact with people who have different approaches, and personal and professional backgrounds.
- Participate in Philosophia, our student-run Undergraduate Philosophy Association, which sponsors readings and social events (such as the Philosophy at the Movies series), and provides student representation at departmental meetings.
- Get involved with The Oracle, York's undergraduate philosophy journal.
Contact us at email@example.com