Portuguese & Luso-Brazilian Studies
Liberal Arts & Professional Studies
Portuguese and Luso-Brazilian Studies at York is one of only two degrees of its kind in Canada.
York University's Portuguese and Luso-Brazilian Studies program covers not only the Portuguese language but also the culture, history, and literature of the entire Lusophone (Portuguese-speaking) world across all continents. Learn about and engage with a diversity of cultures – their art, literature, music, history, and social and political landscapes through courses such as:
- Luso-Brazilian Cultures and Cinemas
- Cannibal Brazil: Cultural Encounters in Literature and Film
- Mapping Brazilian Identity Through Fiction: History, Race and Gender
The Portuguese language is spoken daily by over 230 million people. Its study will prepare you for work both nationally and internationally, offering you instant entry to Portugal, Brazil, Angola, Mozambique, Cape Verde, Guinea Bissau, São Tomé e Príncipe, East Timor as well as numerous Lusophone communities around the world - Canada, USA, Germany, France, Switzerland, Australia, South Africa, Venezuela, Luxemburg - and the territories of Macau and Goa.
- We are the only university in Canada that offers a course solely dedicated to the region of the Azores. The Culture and Literature of the Azores delves into the uniqueness of this North Atlantic archipelago, whose natives make up the majority of the Portuguese immigrants in Canada.
- Our program offers many opportunities for you to move beyond academics, exploring experiential education opportunities, and engaging in cultural events that will enliven your learning.
Contact us at email@example.com