Faculty of Education
Foster the skills of teaching and learning
Education is future-oriented — it's about development and growth even when we are studying the past. Education is giving or receiving knowledge, developing the powers of reasoning and judgement, using inspiration, tapping into creativity, taking risks and developing emotional and intellectual resilience. In our society, education implies school and whether you teach others or are in the process of learning yourself, education focuses on knowledge and on the intellect. Through the fine art of bringing out what is latent in a person, we learn as we teach.
To foster the skills of teaching and learning, York offers several Education programs. Click on the program name below to learn more about the program.
Teacher Education (Bachelor of Education, BEd)
Primary, elementary and high school teacher education, offered through the Faculty of Education, is committed to intellectual and professional excellence and to community service. York's Faculty of Education is distinguished by its commitment to exploring ways to address equity, social justice and environmental issues in all of its programs. It is a dynamic and a growing Faculty that enjoys positive relations with school boards and its professional constituencies, as well as with other academic disciplines at the University.
- Bachelor of Education
- Bachelor of Education (http://edu.yorku.ca/academic-programs/bachelor-of-education/bed-tech/) - Technological Education
- Bachelor of Education (French) – for French immersion
- We also offer opportunities in Jewish teacher education, Indigenous education and a formal Specialization in International Education (http://edu.yorku.ca/academic-programs/bachelor-of-education/concurrent-bed/specialized-programs/) .
- Mathematics for Education
York offers a Pre-Education Direct Entry option for high-school applicants
You can apply to the Bachelor of Education Concurrent program from high school. Participating Faculties include: Arts, Media, Performance & Design; Education (BA Educational Studies); Environmental Studies; Glendon; Health; Lassonde School of Engineering; Liberal Arts & Professional Studies; and Science. Visit the Faculty of Education website for details.
Looking to augment your current studies or get some added qualifications?
Get information for Internationally Educated Teachers.
York offers a graduate program in education (MEd/PhD) and professional learning courses for practicing teachers.
York also offers:
- a certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL);
- and a certificate in the Discipline of Teaching English as an International Language (D-TEIL).