Liberal Arts & Professional Studies
About French Studies
Gain a competitive edge in the job market as you explore French language, literature and linguistics, and francophone culture in Canada and throughout the world.
All of our courses are taught in French, but you don’t need to have taken French immersion. Your language proficiency will be assessed when you enrol, and you’ll be placed in the correct course. Our small classes provide plenty of opportunities to speak the language and interact with professors and classmates.
Graduates enter the workforce with a well-rounded education and diverse career options, including civil service, human resources, tourism and hospitality, journalism, communications, law, business, and non-governmental and international organizations.
What you’ll learn
- Speak and write in French with confidence, for work or daily life.
- Read French texts and media critically, and evaluate the evidence and competing interpretations in them.
- Understand the impact and contributions of diverse francophone cultures in Canada and around the world.
- Become workplace-ready by honing your hard and soft skills in French.
See the full list of our Program Learning Outcomes.
- Enhance your language skills and your university experience with an exchange program in Europe or Quebec.
- Gain leadership skills by getting involved in the Association des Étudiants Francophones et Francophiles de York, and assist in organizing events where you can practise your French.
- Through the work/study program, assist the department in creating French-language communications (including social media) and other operations.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org