Law - Juris Doctor
Osgoode Hall Law School
One of Canada's largest and most distinguished law schools.
Osgoode Hall Law School offers students an extraordinary legal education. Our internationally renowned three-year Juris Doctor (JD) program provides a rich, innovative and interdisciplinary experience that exposes students to a broad array of perspectives. Throughout our curriculum, theory, practice and reflective assessment are integrated so students can develop a solid foundation in legal reasoning, build practical skills and gain an appreciation for the ethical dimensions of law and the legal profession. Our full-time professors and part-time faculty of practising lawyers and judges are among the country's top legal scholars and practitioners. We prepare our students to enter the legal profession with a unique combination of thoughtful and practical skills.
The Law Degree
The law degree has two different roles. It is an academic discipline worthy of study in its own right as well as a necessary preliminary for entry to the legal profession. It is a fascinating subject, with a great tradition and dynamic future. Whether you are advocating for the rights of an environmentally sensitive ecosystem or weighing freedom of expression with the right to privacy, there will be something to challenge your interests.
What You'll Learn
We challenge the traditional curriculum and aim for excellence at all levels through a comprehensive, well-rounded legal education focused on law-in-action. We promote interdisciplinary studies through various joint-degree programs and partnerships with other Faculties, institutions and international exchanges.
A law degree is one of the most well-respected undergraduate qualifications. It opens up career opportunities quite apart from the practice of law. This is because the study of law improves powers of reasoning, clarity of thought and the ability to analyze and express complicated ideas. Such skills are in demand in a wide variety of areas including commerce and industry, social services, politics, the media and the public services.
Highlights of the Osgoode program
- innovative, diverse curriculum covering a broad array of subject areas
- 17 clinical programs
- unique first year Ethical Lawyering in a Global Community intensive
- exciting research opportunities
- local and global summer internship program
- 4 optional curricular streams
- international study opportunities
Joint & combined degree programs
- JD/MBA with the Schulich School of Business
- JD/MES with the Faculty of Environmental & Urban Change
- JD/MA (Philosophy) with the Department of Philosophy, Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies
- JD/LLB (Civil) with the Université de Montréal
Did You Know?
- Osgoode was the first law school in Canada to introduce public interest and experiential education requirements into the JD curriculum, and the first to open an Office of Experiential Education to assist with the development of new experiential education courses, programs and clinics.
- Osgoode has an Indigenous admissions category and encourages applications from students who identify with and have a connection to an Indigenous community.
- Osgoode provides more than $5 million in financial aid annually through scholarships, bursaries and awards. Our innovative, income contingent loan program, the first of its kind in Canada, enables selected incoming students to attend Osgoode each year, without paying tuition. Rather, tuition is covered through bursaries and loans, the latter repayable after graduation over a 10-year period and only if the graduates' income affords them the ability to pay.
- Osgoode is committed to supporting students' academic, professional and personal success. We were the first law school to introduce in-house counsellors offer individual counselling and wellness programs exclusively for JD students
About Osgoode Hall Law School
- Osgoode is the largest, and one of the oldest, common-law law schools in Canada
- We offer unmatched experiential learning opportunities both in terms of number and experience
- Our curriculum is innovative, diverse and delivered by the country's top legal minds
- We are home to the largest law library in Canada
- Osgoode is a pioneer in online legal research
- We are committed to increasing Indigenous representation and perspectives within the law school and profession, including having introduced an Indigenous and Aboriginal Law graduation requirement
- Has the largest graduate program and the only Professional Development program for lawyers in Canada
For further information, please contact Osgoode's Admissions Office at email@example.com.